Belgium-headquartered AB InBev, the world’s largest brewer, has launched ‘Budweiser Beats’ in India. The energy drink is the first in any market from Budweiser.
With a formidable brewing heritage, Anheuser-Busch InBev is home to many global beer brands like Corona, Stella Artois and Hoegaarden, as well as many local champion brands. Budweiser remains its flagship in the portfolio.
Budweiser has beeen growing in India for the last decade
- Budweiser has had a strong growth journey in India over the last decade, having emerged as the leading premium beer brand in the country, according to Kartikeya Sharma, president – India and South East Asia, AB InBev. India has been one of the top five growth markets for Budweiser globally.
- Previous India specific innovations include Budweiser Magnum beer and Budweiser 0.0, which was the brand’s foray into the non-alcoholic beer category.
Why has Budwieser launched the drink in India?
- The energy drink and non-alcoholic beer categories have emerged as one of the fast-growing categories in many key markets. To capitalize on demand, alcohol brands like Heineken and Kingfisher are also interested. Increasingly, younger consumers across the globe are looking at healthier and non-alcoholic beverage options.
- Beats is the first amongst differentiated non-alcohol and low-alcohol offerings in the pipeline from AB InBev’s product portfolio in the country. The company globally has a few brands in the energy drink and related categories across a few countries – Mawé a vitamin energy drink in Brazil, Ghost Energy drink in the US and Fusion in China and Brazil.
- This launch is in line with the company’s global ambitions – “to reduce the harmful use of alcohol by at least 10% in six top cities across the world by the end of last year.”
What does this mean for Beats?
- Budweiser hopes to increase its footprint in an energy drink segment currently ruled by Red Bull.
- Sharma says the Indian consumer’s palate is expanding and that energy drinks are a logical expansion for the brand in a country where youth is ready to try new beverages. It also helps the brand extend its footprint into newer occasions and passion points in the sizable Indian market.
- Timed to capitalize on the festive season demand in India, the newly launched product would be available on e-commerce channels like Amazon, Grofers, Big Basket and Swiggy Instamart, leading modern retail outlets and department stores across the country.